Tuesday, December 19, 2006

 

To put you in a Christmas mood

Right now, this is my nominee for the best non-Cardinals-win-the-World-Series sports story of the year. Don Carman, he of the 53-54 record and the 4.11 E.R.A. over a ten-year career, is now one of my favorite players.

Close competition is Toby's excellent eve-of-the-World Series article about Carmi resident and former Tiger and Cardinal Bob Sykes. Toby, is that available online for me to link to anywhere?

And as we enter the holiday season, some baseball things I'm thankful for:
Jimmy Edmonds, and his new contract that makes him likely to retire a Cardinal.
Adam Wainwright's curveball and its ability to freeze Carlos Beltran, if for no other reason than my mom's good health. I'm not sure she would have made it had he hit the bases-clearing triple we all were clearly imagining.
Endy Chavez's catch, and the fact that it ultimately didn't matter
Manny Ramirez's swing. And his hair.
Dusty Baker's firing. Is that too mean for a holiday list?
Jackie Robinson. 'Cause you can't ever be too thankful for Jackie Robinson.
Rickey. GMs, he's ready to play. Just call.
Yadier Molina's October power surge. And his girlish smile.
Stacey's jack-o-lanterns. 10-0 in the Fall Classic and counting.
Labor peace.
J.D. Drew's silly, silly baserunning, and the fact that that play also involved Jeff Kent and his mustache.
The Big Unit, even though he's a Yankee and, apparently, past his peak. Oh, that slider, and that hair.
Mike Shannon. So long as he's broadcasting, a part of me will still be a kid.
Opening Day, and living a mile-and-a-half from a ballpark, a childhood dream unexpectedly realized.

And, finally and forever, Albert Pujols. 'Nuff said.

I know I'm forgetting dozens. Feel free, ye millions of readers, to add your own in comments.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,


Comments:
My small list:
DVDs. Specifically, the release of the special edition 1979 World Series DVD. If I don't get it for Christmas, I may be forced to secede from my family.
Levi. Having a friend who gets the humor in a story about a father and son in McLeansboro who have no idea why a Cub fan shouldn't be rooting for the Mets is very comforting to me.
Francisco Cordova and Ricardo Rincon. For having such fun-to-pronounce names (and for the combined no-hitter a few years back).
Kirk Rueter. For being the only Big-Leaguer I ever went to college with.
Kris Benson. For carrying on Jeff King's legacy of No. 1 overall picks for the Pirates who have very mediocre careers.
ESPN "Game Night". For assuring that the Cardinals would win Game 7 of the NLCS by going on and on and on and on about how much better the Mets were and how they would win big.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home