Monday, March 13, 2006

 

What's with the Carrot League baseball today?

Levi claims to be busy with work, but figuring that I'd have plenty of time on my hands now that I've been unemployed for almost four months, he asked me to pass this along: "Bugs Bunny, Greatest Banned Player Ever," a scholarly analysis of the 1946 Warner Bros. Friz Freleng/Michael Maltese cartoon "Baseball Bugs." It places the game depicted -- apparently an exhibition game at the Polo Grounds -- into historical perspective, and even provides some explanations for the "cartoon physics" on display. It's definitely worth a read if you've got more time than Levi does.

Since I supposedly have so much time on my hands, perhaps I should work on analyzing my other favorite baseball cartoon, Tex Avery's "Batty Baseball" (1944). Unfortunately, it's a series of vignettes and blackout gags, rather than the complete game depicted in "Baseball Bugs," and probably defies analysis.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Jim,
It wasn't so much that I thought you'd have more time as that I thought that you'd have less self-restraint. Bugs Bunny? Baseball? How could you not? If only it had included trains, and radio station jingles, and something about your hometown, Tampa Bay!
 
The "what's the score, boys, what did Bugs Bunny do?" song, mentioned in the comments, is practially a jingle.

You should know by now that I am nothing if not self-restrained.
 
Which explains why Bugs Bunny doesn't look much older now than he did in 1946!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home