Tuesday, October 05, 2004

 

It's chili time!

Those of you who haven't been living here recently--or ever--should know that for the last three baseball seasons, Stacey and I have done our best to turn October at The Rocketship into a baseball open house. I find that the best way to end the baseball season is surrounded by friends and big simmering pots of vegetarian chili, some cornbread, some cider, and some marveling at the color of Tim McCarver's hair dye.

Though most of the people around these parts have trouble working up any interest in American League baseball, we're kicking things off tonight with the Yankees and the Twins, and who can't work up enthusiasm for seeing Johan Santana strike out Yanks? We'll have even more trouble if any Astros/Braves games sneak into prime time: I know it's a fundamental rule of life that one roots against the Braves, but I find rooting for Houston to be almost as difficult. I've been likening it to an election where you have a corrupt, unpalatable Democrat against a corrupt, unpalatable Republican. In that case, I'll always go for the guy with the (D) by his name. In this case, that's Houston.

So you're all welcome to come out. All of you I know, that is. If you're a stranger reading this blog from, say, jail, you're not necessarily invited. We'll have to discuss it. Here's a schedule for the rest of the week.

First, however, we have to root the Cardinals past the Dodgers today at noon. I blame Fox for the fact that I have to listen to this game at work rather than watch it at home. I suppose if I were in LA I could watch it over brunch.

I'm still really busy at work--hence the staying here today instead of going home--but some quick picks:

Twins over Yanks
Red Sox over Angels
Red Sox over Twins

Cards over LA
Braves over Astros
Cads over Braves

Cards over Red Sox

You knew that was where I was headed, didn't you? And what are your picks?

Original comments...



Dan: My gut:

Yanks over Twins // Sox over Angels
Sox over Yankees

Cards over LA // Braves over Astros
Braves over Cards

Braves over Sox.

Trust me, I hate that scenario. Just the gut feeling about the Braves this year.

Jim: Darn it, I was distracted by the lack of Hostess Baseballs at the supermarket yesterday, and forgot that I was going to get chili ingredients in order to have my own Rocketship-esque playoff viewing here in L.A. (Only "Rocketship-esque" because I prefer chili of the con carne variety.) But I wasn't planning to watch a game tonight, so I can wait until tomorrow night, for the Red Sox-Angels game at 7:00 PDT. I think a few Bostonians are going to be very tired Thursday morning!

Levi: Time for baseball!

Go, Cardinals!

Luke: > What are your picks?

I like rice and pasta for the division series, then chili and Moose Tracks for the LCS's. I'm leaning toward pizza and bratwurst for the World Series.

Oh, baseball? ABY: Anyone but Yankees. I'll root for the Cards in the N.L., and then the Red Sox and Twins in the A.L., but will have to defer to the Sox when they meet, as I always will when a grass team plays a non-grass one.

Jason: What I'd like to see:

Twins over Yankees
Angels over Red Sox
Twins over Angels

Dodgers over Cardinals
Astros over Braves
Dodgers over Astros

Twins over Dodgers

What I'll probably see:

Yankees over Twins
Red Sox over Angels
Yankees over Red Sox

Cardinals over Dodgers
Braves over Astros
Braves over Cardinals

Yankees over Braves in six in the 3rd least-viewed World Series in history (narrowly better than Yankees-Mets in 2000 and the other 20 times Yankees-Braves have faced off)

stacey: i'd just like to note that, although the chili is vegetarian, one of the optional condiments is bacon. lots of bacon.

maura: i have a weird feeling about an astros-sox world series. (you know fox would eat that up with a spoon, too -- hell, they'd probably send their "news"casters down for live, snicker-filled remotes from halliburton park.)

Levi: Yeah, Luke: should I be eating pasta today instead of leftover chili? Am I setting myself up for a 9:47 marathon?

Oh, and shame on you, Dan. Did William T. Sherman look at Atlanta and think, "I wish I could burn this shithole to the ground, but I think it won't happen?"

The Astros, though worthy of hate, are the William T. Shermans of the Division Series.

Jim: Bacon on chili?!

Luke, hanger-on: You're probably OK today, but by Thursday or Friday you should consider a moratorium on all, let's say, gastronomically complicated food. Just as you don't see large plumes of smelly exhaust shat out by Indy 500 race cars, so too do you want to avoid combustion issues of your own come Sunday.

Jason: Have you ever tried adding a little chocolate to your chili? It's not bad.

Matt B.: How Dare you compare the Atlanta Braves to "a corrupt, unpalatable Republican" - The Atlanta baseball franchise has been steadfast in its support of stem cell research!

Levi: We usuall put in about a quarter-cup of cocoa powder, which does give the chili a little hint of some dark, rich taste. If Stacey will allow, I'll post the Rocketship Baseball Chili recipe in coming weeks so you can all play along at home!

Dan: I'm not saying I WANT the Braves to win -- trust me, if it was up to me, I'd want the Mets to play the NY Jets in the World Series, that way I'll be happy regardless who wins. It was just a lousy gut feeling. Especially lousy considering how shitty they played yesterday.

Jason: Re: Chili or pasta?

Why not have both? Pour the leftover chili on to your spaghetti or linguine or rotini or what have you for a real taste treat!

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home