Monday, May 17, 2004

 

A thought on ballpark food

On Tuesday at Tropicana Field, I had a grouper sandwich; on Wednesday at Dodger Stadium, I had a Dodger Dog (included with the "family pack" ticket package); on Sunday at Petco Park, I had fish tacos. I think on the trip I'm going to try some local specialty at most of the ballparks, because even though my digestive system is used to me putting a lot of items consisting of meat and meat by-products down the hatch, I'm not sure it can handle a hot dog a day for 10 days. I'm also not sure what Levi's going to eat on the trip, other than Tim Horton's doughnuts while we're in Canada, if he's still practicing vegetarianism.

Original comments...



Levi: "Practicing"? I think I've got this vegetarian thing down by now.

And surely there will be enough to eat. Ballpark pizza is one of the worst foods in the world, but in St. Louis, for example, they've got a stand that sells veggie burgers and another that sells reasonably good burritos.

maura: i guess that seals the identity of the person who's going to try the schmitter at citizens bank park, then....

Jon Solomon: There are GREAT veggie dogs to be had in Toronto at SkyDome. They've got a whole vegetarian stand down on the first level, in fact.

Steve: My long list of reasons why baseball should be contracted just got longer. Veggie dogs? inside domes? in Canada?!? Great American pastime indeed. There's plenty of things vegetarians can eat at the ballpark--french fries, nachos, pretzels, peanuts, pizza, sunflower seeds, beer, big league chew, ice cream (if you aren't vegan) lemon freeze (if you are vegan) free diced onions at wrigley....

Jim: A cheese steak on a Kaiser roll with fried salami, fried onions, tomato, and secret sauce?! There is nothing about that I don't like, except that if it's $5.25 at the actual McNally's, I shudder to think how much they're charging at Citizens Bank Park.

Levi: Let's all give a moment of appreciation to Jim Bouton for inventing Big League Chew. That's almost as great an achievement as writing Ball Four.

thatbob: My only quibble: I wish it had been called Big League Chaw. (God, it sucks to be me. I really can't enjoy *anything*.)

thatbob: Re: veggie dogs inside domes in Canada. You know what Yogi Berra would say to that: "Only in America."

Jason: You could always eat before the game...if you're a COMMUNIST!

sarah: jon's post brought back some very scary and sad memories of the near-deserted vegetarian food stand at the expos game we went to in montreal. the echo of fans banging empty seats followed me into the dark back alleys of the food court. the whole adventure took me close to an hour, since i believe they had to actually form the tofu into veggie-dog shapes by hand. plus, a mishap involving a foul ball spilled our whole dinner onto my shirt anyway.

good times. good times.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home